The Best Styles of Dress for Each Body Type
We’ve all been there before; you see the perfect dress hanging on the rack at the store, but when you try it on, it looks horrible on you. That’s why it’s important to know your own body type, so you can find pieces that accentuate and flatter your body. Learn how to find your body type and what styles complement your figure the best with these tips.
How To Determine Your Body Type
The first step in determining your body type is to take some measurements. You will need a flexible cloth measuring tape and a buddy who can help you, if needed. Here is what you’ll measure:
- Shoulders: Measure from the tip of one shoulder to the tip of the other shoulder, then back. The measuring tape should be so high up that it almost slips off.
- Bust: Measure around the fullest part of your chest and around your back. Make sure not to squish your bust down, just let the measuring tape go around loosely.
- Waist: Stand up straight and measure the smallest part of your waist, just above the belly button and below the ribs.
- Hips: Start at one hip and measure around the fullest part of your butt, around the other hip, then back. Make sure the measuring tape is level the whole way around.
Now that you have your measurements, it’s time to find your body type. Compare your measurements to these different body types to see which one most closely fits you.
- Apple: Your body is “top heavy” meaning your shoulder, bust, and waist measurements are bigger than your hip measurement.
- Hourglass: This body type is exactly how it sounds; you have a wide bust and hips, but narrow waist, making your body shaped like an hourglass.
- Pear/Triangle: Your body is “bottom heavy,” with your hip measurements being bigger than your waist, bust, and shoulders.
- Rectangle: Your body is straight and proportionate, with all your measurements being close to each other.
- Inverted Triangle: This is an athletic-looking body type. Your shoulders and bust are wider than your waist and hips.
How To Dress Your Body Type
Now that you know your body type, it is time to learn how to best dress your beautiful figure.
Apple Body Type
Since most of your weight is above your hips, try to put the focus on your strengths. A V-neck dress will give the illusion of a longer torso, while prints and patterns help shift the focus away from your upper body.
Hourglass Body Type
Your dresses should highlight your curves, so choose a dress that is form-fitting or one that cinches at the waist. A V-neck or sweetheart neckline will help show off your upper body.
Pear/Triangle Body Type
A-line dresses will help balance out your body, giving the illusion of an hourglass figure. Also, a scoop neck or V-neck will bring the attention up to your bust and away from your hips.
Rectangle Body Type
Your arms and legs are your strengths, so choose a dress that will show them off, such as ones that are sleeveless or strapless. An A-line or tight-fitting dress will help give your body some shape.